Terms of Reference for External Evaluator
ISCOS-CISL is seeking an external evaluator to conduct an independent and rigorous evaluation of its EU-funded project EIDHR/2019/412-527 – “Women’s Councils: models, skills and voice for a just society in Eritrea”.
The project aims at promoting the principles of non-discrimination, gender equality and women’s empowerment, by encouraging increased women’s promotion, protection of social, economic and cultural rights in Eritrea.
The specific objectives aim to build social, economic and economic platforms/processes accelerating new opportunities for disadvantaged women to achieve equal access to productive employment and decent work, playing an active role in conflict
prevention/resolution for building sustainable peace in Eritrea.
Project implementation started the first of January 2020 and will end by the 28th of February 2024 The final evaluation will assess the project’s overall impact and achievements.
Objectives of the Evaluation
The primary objective of the evaluation is to provide ISCOS-CISL with an objective and independent assessment of the project’s performance. The evaluation will also provide recommendations for improving the project’s design, implementation, and monitoring and
evaluation (M&E) systems.
Scope of Work
The evaluator will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Review the project proposal and other relevant documentation
- Conduct desk research on the project’s context and target beneficiaries
- Undertake field visits to project sites
- Interview project staff, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Collect and analyze data on the project’s outputs, outcomes, and impacts
- Prepare a comprehensive evaluation report that includes findings, conclusions, and recommendations
The evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevance: To what extent is the project aligned with the needs and priorities of the target beneficiaries and the objectives of the EU funding program?
- Flexibility To what extent was the project capable of adapting its activities to the external factors (COVID pandemic, war) affecting its implementation?
- Effectiveness: To what extent has the project achieved its objectives?
- Efficiency: To what extent has the project used its resources (financial, human, and time) effectively and efficiently?
- Impact: To what extent has the project had a positive impact on the target beneficiaries and the wider community?
- Sustainability: To what extent is the project likely to have a lasting impact after the funding ends?
Qualifications and Experience
The evaluator(s) should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, such as international development, social work, public administration Labour Sciences
- Evaluator certification
- At least 10 years of experience in project management and project evaluation.
- Proven experience with decent work and women empowerment projects.
- Proven experience in collecting and analyzing data on project outcomes and impacts
- Fluency in English and the language of the project country
- Excellent communication and writing skills
Timeline and Deliverables
The evaluation should be conducted over a period of one month. The evaluator will be required to deliver the following deliverables:
- Inception report outlining the evaluation methodology and data collection plan
- Draft evaluation report for stakeholder consultation
- Final evaluation report incorporating feedback from stakeholders
For the completion of all tasks the evaluator will be paid a lump sum of €4.760,perdiem included plus €850 for an A/R flight to Asmara.
Code of Conduct
The evaluator(s) will be expected to adhere to the following code of conduct:
- Maintain independence of judgment
- Operate in an impartial and unbiased manner
- Disclose any potential conflicts of interest
- Respect confidentiality
- Use data and information responsibly
- Provide constructive feedback
Applications should include a CV, a letter of interest, and a proposed evaluation methodology in English and must be sent by email before 20/12/2023 to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org